Monday, February 15, 2010

The Word of E

I would just like to say to those who read Mr. Harvey’s last post that there are one or two things he seems to have misunderstood. I'll try to clear them up in my post.

The first is that Sandman and myself were not late due to a lack of navigation skills on my behalf. Perhaps Harvey knew this and was just being kind on me. What actually happened was that I buggered up the address. I admit that I was wrong about it, and it was my mistake. For anyone who wishes to visit the Carlton Hotel, it is located at 193 Bourke St, not Brunswick St. I did also pay for the taxi to get us there at around 6.05, so we were only five minutes late. Fortunately Harvs was able to get in as my guest without me being there. Once I arrived there however, I found a most amusing fact. Harvey, who prides himself on never drinking a drop, was in fact drinking an alcoholic lemon lime and bitters, and a fairly strong one at that might I add. In his defense he did not actually know that bitters is a strong spirit.

The Carlton Hotel is a great place to go. For those of you who are like me and do not like beer (although I am working on it), you will be as grateful as I was that they have cider on tap. I had never even heard of such a thing but by golly it was good. We were given four drink vouchers, although I received 8 not 4. Due to Harvey being invited by myself he received only 4. I'm not quite sure, but you could get an actual pint with that, so I was tipsy very soon. I would also like to add that they did give as quite a few more as the night progressed. The only down side to the drinks was that we couldn't purchase them ourselves and cocktails were not on the tab, so I was unable to have one of the Carlton Hotel cocktails that I have heard so much about.

Eventually the sponsor of the evening was revealed, much to my surprise it was Telstra. I have no idea why they kept the sponsor was a secret, but I was expecting it to be some new company. Taxi cabs fitted with karaoke equipment sounded like something I would expect from some over zealous 25 year old to be pitching to Dragons Den, not something being done by a telecommunication company with by far the greatest coverage and speeds in the country. To be honest I'm still a bit confused why the devil they were doing it but I must say it is still a lot of fun.

The song list available was somewhat limited, but I immediately decided on Barbie Girl by Aqua. I love that song and sing along to it all the time. The video of us singing will be put on the web and I'll post a link to it when it’s up. Please vote for us because we can win an XBOX 360 if we win! We will also go into the draw to win a new mobile. We had a blast singing along and driving around whilst doing it was surprisingly fun.

Afterwards we took a cab provided and paid for by Telstra to the Carlton Yacht club on Lygon Street. If a free cab that requires you to sing seems like too much effort then don't worry, the free regular cabs are also on offer in the CBD on late weekend nights, paid for by Telstra. However these are completely random and so won’t be possible to identify.

The Carlton Yacht Club is a favourite spot of mine, although a tad pricey. Shouting Harvey and Sandman each a drink was maybe a bit silly of me. The cocktails are 15 dollars each and a mocktail is about 8. They are completely worth it, and same goes for the drinks ;).

All in all it was a most enjoyable night out and I would recommend just about everything we did. I must confess I am a little bit nervous about how I'll look on the video given I'm sandwiched between a perfectly sculpted blonde and a ruggedly handsome youth, but hopefully we will all be looking so ridiculous it won’t show that much.

Stay posted and we'll have more for you to enjoy later on,

Until next time,

E

1 comment: